Sunday, April 15, 2012

Blog Post #11

Little Kids... Big Potential

In this video, Ms. Cassidy's first grade students show us how they work with their blogs, wikis, Skype, and Nintendo DS. It is amazing how 1st grade students know so much about technology. These students did a great job explaining how they use this technology. I never thought about using Nintendo DS for internet purposes. I am still amazed at the fact that these young students are so much more advanced with blogging than a lot of adults in this world.

Skype Interview with Ms. Cassidy

I really enjoyed watching this interview with Ms. Cassidy. I learned a lot of great ideas. I feel that it is very important to protect a child's identity, well to protect the child period. Ms. Cassidy has great ways to protect each child. I think it is important not to mention the child's last name, not to post pictures of the students, and to send permission slips home to use the internet at school. I remember having to get my parents to sign those papers when I was in school. I also think it is a great advantage to have an assistant, or a technology coordinator like Ms. Cassidy has. I also thought it was funny that Ms. Cassidy doesn't use technology for her personal life. I am the same in some ways. I have never had a twitter until this class, and I only use it for this class. She said to use technology for what you are interested in. I think this applies well to students. Elementary students are fascinated with computer themselves, so I think this is why her first grade students are doing so well with blogging. I would also consider letting my students work in groups. The students that are interested in videos, could make a video for the class. The students that are interested in photography could make a picture slideshow to present to the class. Ms. Cassidy also mentioned that she lets her students blog once or twice a week. I think this would be great to get the kids excited about blogging. Maybe use Friday as free Friday. If they do well during the week, then the student can be rewarded by getting to use the computer to blog. I know when I was a kid, I got excited for Fridays just for that reason.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Daisy,
    You did a really great job with this post! I didn't notice any grammatical errors. That's fantastic. I like what you had to say about the videos and that you put your own personal experiences into your post.
    Great Job,
    Susie Salter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad the assignment stimulated you to think about what you will do in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete