Thursday, March 29, 2012

Blog Post #9

I decided to read Mr. McClung's first blog about his first year as a teacher, What I've Learned This Year (2008-2009). Mr. McClung talks about his first year as a teacher. He says that in his first year, he let the pressure of being observed effect his delivery of a lesson. He also says, that teachers lessons are not student centered,and that they focus more on how they will deliver, rather than how to connect with the students and make sure that they understand. This really is true. I know that we, as student teachers, will be watched and observed, so we will try to satisfy our supervisor. That is not a bad thing, but we need to keep our priorities set on the students as well. Also, Mr. McClung say not to set expectations on your students. I loved this part of the blog. He says that we do set expectations, but instead of getting upset at the students when they fail, encourage them and help them back up. Another thing that caught my attention was about not being afraid of technology. I think this is why we need to take this class, so we will not be afraid of technology when we step out on our own as teachers. We will be fairly prepared for what is to come with technology. We might have to learn how use some technology, but like Mr. McClung said in his post, "jump in head first, the water is fine." The last two parts of his blog is about listening to your student and never stop learning. I think that listening to your students can make a major difference in their life. Maybe that is the only time they are heard, is when they are at school. I also think that we should keep our minds open to learn more. Some people feel like they don't need to learn more, but that is not true.

For my second blog to read, I decided to read What I've Learned This Year (2009-2010). First, I loved how he acknowledged Dr. Strange and the EDM310 class in his blog. I know that as teachers, we will have to adapt at some point. Mr. McClung had to adapt from teaching 6th grade science to teaching 8th grade history. Not only did he have to change grade level, but also subjects. You never know when you will be transferred or have to move. You might start out teaching kindergarten to teaching 6th grade. We need to be prepared to make adaptations, and adjust for our students sake. He also talked about the path least traveled. He tried to get his students involved in a debate, but they tried to answer with something they thought the teacher would be satisfied with. He said he wanted his students to think for themselves. He said he didn't want his students to always look for the right answers, but to think. Mr. McClung says he will do whatever it takes to get his students to learn. Sometimes he has to act like he likes the curriculum, but he knows he is trying his best to get the students interested. I think that is great. We need to be willing to do whatever it takes to help our students learn, and I know if they think the teacher likes that topic, they will grow interested as well. He also talked about control in the classroom. He tries to let his students have a little control by letting them get their own graded papers. I think this gives the student a sense of independence as well. I remember when I was in elementary and middle school, we students loved do that kind of stuff on our own. I hated that this young teacher has to deal with horrible staff at his school. That happens everywhere, however. My dad is teacher, doesn't bother anybody, but some people just try to find something to criticize. I hate that, but you can't let other "adults" affect your teaching. Some people are just born to love drama.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you will make annual reflections like Mr. McClung.

    Good summary of the points he made.

    Well done. Very interesting. Personalized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read your blog, I felt as if I was reading his blog all over again. This was a very good summary, anyone reading this would know exactly what Mr. McClung was saying. I only saw a few grammatical errors, other than that great post!

    ReplyDelete