Sunday, March 25, 2012

Blog Post #8

This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2

This video was very true about the way technology is advancing. Dr. Richard Miller talked about the way that people are using books less often and are using the internet as a reading source. I know that we, as students, find ourselves looking up information on the internet with our laptops, rather than running to the library.Dr. Miller used an example with the famous Dr. Martin Luther King. In This Is How We Dream Part 1, it show Dr. Miller sharing his information with other people, and having a chat session between the people.

In This Is How We Dream Part 2, Dr. Miller explains a little about iTunes U. It is very interesting that teachers can share lectures with their students. I loved the part where he said that ideas belong to use as a culture, and I find it fascinating that we can share our ideas with the world. Also, Dr. Miller talks about using your ideas and creativity to make something amazing. He shows us his model of combining humanities and sciences to work together. I think that this technology is great to just show us an idea from a person.

I think these two videos gives us something to think about. First, we all need to be prepared to have to learn how to work with technology. Slowly, writing is becoming extinct. It's kind of like how we used to watch movies from VHS, then to DVD's, and now we are moving to Blue Ray. We might not like the change, but it's happening. Second, we are using technology to share with the world. We can post a video, and have so many people watch the video. Dr. Miller said that in a few months time, he had over 9,000 people view his video and embed it into their blogs. That is just amazing.

Carly Pugh's Blog Post #12

Carly does an amazing job on this assignment. The point of her assignment is to get you to create a playlist that describes your teaching philosophy. Carly pointed out exactly what she wanted the playlist to consist of and the instructions were really good to follow. Carly's assignment comes close to Dr. Miller's hope for writing with multi-media, because she has you to use the internet to locate information. None of this requires using paper and pencil.

The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies

In The Chipper Series, Chipper not only procrastinates, but decides that she doesn't want to turn in her assignments at all. Chipper also blames the teacher for her failure, when she didn't put any effort into her work. Chipper drops out of school,makes a school where you don't have to do anything, and it gets shut down. Chipper tries the easy way and gets her degree online. She gets a teaching job and gets fired after four days. In the end, Chipper decides to get her education the right way after her "cleansing". That is how a majority of the world tries to function. We try to get by with the bare minimum, and in the end it doesn't work. The way I look at it is that we will be in school for four years of our lives, so we should work our hardest. If you think about it, four years is not that long. You will be working for at least 25 years, so make the most of those four years.

EDM310 for Dummies was so cute. I must admit, I did not know anything about Twitter or Blogger either. I think the point of this video is to not give up. I have a disadvantage because I am just learning about this type of technology, but I have no excuse to give up. We have a staff in the computer lab, and they have been so helpful and taught me things I didn't know. I know I need to improve on the way I see videos and interpret them, but isn't that the point of this class? To learn. I have never really used YouTube before this class, so if I don't understand the point of the video, I have someone who will explain it to me. This video did make a point that this class is time consuming, but you really do learn about technology. I would like to make a video showing how I learned about technology by being in EDM310.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

One of the first things that was mentioned was that education is ranked 55! Not out of 100 but 55! That shows were our priorities are. Something that also caught my attention was that children use technology to communicate and learn, but it is banned from schools. One of the ladies in the video mentioned that technology should begin with the teacher. Let the teachers blog with other teachers. That is true in order for teachers to teach their students. There does need to be a change in the classroom, and I can't wait to begin that change. I want to help students. Like the video said, this will help these students, not only for college, but for life.

Scavenger Hunt 2.0

1. My very first comic

my first comic about a girl making friends at her new school

2. I found a video tool I have never used before called Animoto. With this, you can make a slideshow with photos, but more in like a 3-D image. It was really neat seeing how you can make a photo album so meaningful.

3. I found Poll Everywhere. This website allows you to create your own poll.

a poll asking if pepsi or coke is the better beverage

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daisy. You sure hit the nail on the head about learning technology. I have to learn the program before I can do the project. Like you, I knew about twitter, Facebook, blogging, and even Youtube. But only as a spectator. I never thought I would need to learn to be a participator. However, like you, I am enjoying learning, and find myself wanting to go back and try a project again and do better. One thing I liked was Carly's idea of a playlist. I want to do that. I recently subbed for a computer class and found the teacher was not challenging them, like we are beinn challenged.. Great cartoon. I did the same thing. Go check mine out. I am impressed that you got the Poll Everywhere to work for you. I could not get it to upload to my blog or embed, LOL. Good job. Keep up the good work, and we'll both end up tech savvy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...isn't that the point of this class? To learn." Yes, it is. I would hope it is the point of every class.

    ReplyDelete