Friday, February 3, 2012

Blog Post #2

1.Did You Know? 3.0 - A John Strange 2012 Version by John Strange

This video is a real eye opener. The whole time I was watching it, I was telling my sister about how much more advanced the world has got. India is so much smarter than the U.S. Who would have thought? I know they are smart, but I never really thought about how smart they are. 25% of India's population is smarter than the whole United States population. Another interesting fact is that China is estimated to speak more English than the entire world. That is crazy! The way I feel about this is that the United States needs to step up, educationally. We are so wrapped up in sports, appearances, and what other people think, we let education slip. I also didn't realize how much the internet and cell phones are used. More than ONE MILLION people view YouTube or use Google per minute!!

an image from mr.winkle wakes2. Mr. Winkle Wakes by Mathew Needleman

That is great that education is being taken serious. From what I can tell, people in the older days took education and learning so serious. That was the number one1 priority for children then. That is amazing that it still is.

People also take for granted how blessed we are to be so technologically advanced. People back then died so young because they didn't have the machines and medicines that we have today. Some of my family live in Oklahoma, and I can call or Skype to communicate. I am so glad that today's society is so much more fit for people, and people had a major impact by inventing.

3. Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity by TEDS

This video had me thinking. Like when Ken Robinson said that we, teachers, are suppose to be preparing and educating students about the what the world will be like in five years, but really, we have no clue. Creativity is as important as education? I agree!!! Like Ken Robinson said, some people only think when they dance.

The world is getting so much more different than twenty years ago. Today we have autistic kids, who are active and love to move. We have to learn how to accommodate today's society. I also liked when he said that we are scared to make mistakes. We are human and imperfect. We learn through mistakes, and that is how we accelerate in learning. Also, I loved Ken Robinson's sense of humor. He kept my attention throughout the video and had me laughing.

4. A Vision for 21st Century Learning by TEDS

I believe that if teachers taught through technology, children would learn so much more at a faster pace.Like the video, children get bored with reading, memorizing, and sitting in a desk all day long. They like video games, so why not use it to teach? That's where this video is getting. Let's use technology to our advantage. It's a win-win situation.

5. Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts

Vicki Davis is doing great things. I wish I had the opportunity to attend a class like this when I was in high school. This class is preparing the students for blogging and college. Websites like Wiki can give students experience as a blogger. I also like how Vicki Davis said that the students teach her. That is so true. Students learn from teachers, but teachers also learn from students.

These students are also getting to communicate with people from all over the world. One of the students said that she and students from over the world made a video together. This video reflects the other four videos that I have recently watches. Technology, communication, and teaching is advancing. Students are getting taught to catch them up with today's society.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Daisy,
    My name is Kate Fail. I enjoyed reading your blogs. I wanted to add to your thoughts on "Mr. Winkle Wakes". I feel this video also set out to show us that we must prepare our students to live, work, and be successful in a society that is driven by technology. If we do not prepare our students properly, they will feel just as lost and confused as Mr. Winkle did. I think the video also showed that there is a resistance to change in the education system. There are many teachers that are hesitant to and weary of learning about technology and applying methods of it into their classrooms. Again, I enjoyed your posts. I did notice some grammatical errors. I find I have to proofread, proofread, and proofread some more because it is very easy to miss even little mistakes. Good luck in EDM 310!

    ReplyDelete
  2. " India is so much smarter than the U.S." No. It is a matter of population size. You could say that the 25% of the population in India with the biggest ears outnumbers ALL of the people in the United States with two ears.

    "That is great that education is being taken serious. From what I can tell, people in the older days took education and learning so serious. That was the number one1 priority for children then. That is amazing that it still is." How does this address the Mr. Winkle Wakes movie? Read it over. Serious should be seriously. So serious should be seriously. "That is amazing that it still is" What doe That refer to?

    Kate (in the comment above) explains the MWW movie much better than you. And she is correct about your writing.

    "are suppose to be preparing and educating students about the what the world will be like in five years" are supposed to be. In addition, Robinson was not the one who talked about the future. the first and fourth videos did, but not Robinson.

    "... that I have recently watches." watched, not watches

    " Students are getting taught to catch them up with today's society." What do you mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daisy!
      I really enjoyed reading your post.I feel like we share some similar feelings on the videos.I also felt that Dr. Strange's video was a real eye opener too. It is true the world is so much more advanced than we really know. It is really crazy to think about how much people are using their cell phones and watching you tube videos.

      Mr. Winkle's Wake was an interesting video and I was very pleased to see education being taking seriously as well. You are exactly right people take for granted our advancement in technology. We really should appreciate it more and put it to use to help better our education.

      Sir Ken Robinson's video was amazing, I really enjoyed watching it. Yes he makes a lot of good points about things such as creativity being important as literacy. Your statement is so true with all the different types of children we may have, we need to know how to incorporate different things to make learning enjoyable for them as well.

      I agree with you on the fact that teachers really should use technology more in their teaching methods. It would help keep the students attention and possibly help them learn at a faster pace. Yes it is very true that students get bored with reading and lose sight of the assignment real easy.

      Vicki Davis is really doing great things with her students. I also wish I would of had the chance to attend one of her educational classes. Yes it is so true that students learn from teachers, but that teachers also learn from their students.

      Delete